If you want to get traditionally published, you need to submit a compelling book proposal to agents or publishers. This masterclass with Scott Pack will maximize your chances of success.
Masterclass: How to Perfect Your Submission to Agents and Publishers
Speaker: Scott Pack
When: Wednesday 15th September 2021, 6:30pm UK time
Where: Online – join us from anywhere in the world
Price: £10-£30 (or equivalent in your currency)
Booking: Eventbrite (Limited places available – book early!)
How to Get a Publishing Deal
Scott Pack returns for his popular Publishing Talk Masterclass on how to perfect your submission to agents and publishers.
Get practical, no-nonsense advice on submitting your book proposal to agents and publishers from veteran publisher Scott Pack on this essential masterclass for new authors.
If you follow the step-by-step advice in this class, you will significantly increase your chances of success. Most authors DON’T – so you’ll already be ahead of the game!
What you will learn
Whether you’re writing fiction or non-fiction, this class offers straightforward advice on how to ensure your submission has the best chance of success.
You’ll learn how to identify the right agent or publisher to submit to, how to write a killer synopsis and cover letter, and how to avoid the pitfalls so many aspiring authors fall into. Plus, for those brave enough to share their pitches, there’ll be a chance to receive a live critique during the session.
How to Submit to Agents and Publishers
What we will cover:
- How to research agents and publishers – and identify the right ones for you
- How to write a cover letter that will ensure your pitch and synopsis get read
- How to put together an enticing submission package
- The secrets to writing a good synopsis
- The differences between submitting fiction v. non-fiction
- Common mistakes made by writers – and how to avoid them.
- A FREE CHAPTER from Scott Pack’s book Tips from a Publisher: A Guide to Writing, Editing, Submitting and Publishing Your Book (Eye Books, 2019) as a PDF download.
- Valuable, no-nonsense advice and practical tips from Scott Pack
- Practical session: a few volunteers will be selected to have their pitch critiqued during the class (optional). You can pitch your book and/or ask questions via live video, in the text-based chat, or submit your pitch/question on the booking form.
- Your chance to pick the brains of an experienced publisher
- Access to a video replay of the event. This event will be recorded, and the video made available to participants, and to our Patrons.
About Scott Pack
Scott Pack was head of buying at the Waterstones book chain before spending several years as a publisher at HarperCollins, acquiring and editing numerous bestsellers and award-winning books.
He is now a freelance editor and university lecturer, and hosts many writing workshops and classes.
Scott is also the author of two essential guides for authors: a short ebook, How to Perfect Your Submission; and Tips from a Publisher: A Guide to Writing, Editing, Submitting and Publishing Your Book (Eye Books, 2019), which is also available in the Publishing Talk Bookshop, which helps support local, independent bookshops in the UK.
About the Publishing Talk Masterclasses
Our online masterclasses are talks, interviews, seminars and workshops from successful authors, publishers, agents and industry experts designed to help you fulfil your potential as an author. Find out more on our masterclasses page.
Discounts available for Patrons. See our Patreon page for details.
You will be sent email reminders with joining instructions two days, two hours and 10 minutes before the start time of 6:30pm (UK time, BST) on Weds 15th Sep 2021.
You can join this masterclass from anywhere in the world. If you’re outside the UK, please use this time zone converter to check your local live streaming time.
10:30am PDT | 12:30pm CDT | 1:30pm EDT | 6:30pm BST | 7:30pm CEST