#4: The Fear of Success
This last fear is one that can be the most debilitating. You’ve cracked all the other fears and may have even finished your book or your creative project. You may even have it printed and published … but it’s not selling and you’re struggling to promote it. It’s a fear which is quite nebulous too so often it goes unnoticed.
This is a fear that I have recently experienced first hand. The reason it hit me so hard was that when I was the most financially successful in my life with two businesses, this was when I was also the most stressed.
So I directly equate success with stress and used my creative mind to avoid success at all costs.
The signs that this is happening in your life are:
- You jump on to the next project without really finishing off the first
- You work on behalf of other people before you
- You become a ‘busy fool’
And I am proud to say I have all these T-shirts.
Strategies for Getting over the Fear of Success
- Redefine what success means to you – it doesn’t have to be about the financials. By using criteria that avoid money, you will find the financial rewards come in their own way and time but perhaps in a form you weren’t expecting.
- Write down all the times you have been successful in your life. How did you feel? What was good about the success? What was bad about the success? Are there any common themes emerging?
- Notice that being successful without the associated stress is a success in its own right.
- Celebrate !!!
This reminds me, I need to do that for the publication of my book Blocks before I start the next one.
Interview with me on my book, Blocks